Monday, July 16, 2007

Quiet Here

My husband and I dropped our 11 year old son off at Boy Scout camp yesterday. After I said goodbye to him, I told him I'd have his dad come by before we left and that I'd be in the car. A few minutes later, I looked back and saw my son running to the car. He came for another hug and a kiss. I asked him if he was ok "yes mom" but I know him better. He had just realized that he was going to be there with out us. We hugged and kissed and I told him it was ok to miss us and that he would have lots of fun and he'd be too busy to miss us. I told him as I was hugging him that I'd give him a wedgy and that perked him up but as he walked back to the camp ground I cried for both of us. Anyway, it's so darn quiet here without him, I almost put on Spongebob Squarepants to make some noise. I decided that I would do absolutely nothing today that I didn't want to do, so I sat in my recliner and beaded. It is so relaxing. I did remember to get up every now and then to stretch and give the dog water and run him around the backyard. It's going to be a quiet week! We'll pick him up on Sunday.

1 comment:

Timaree said...

Letting kids go is tough but mom, your job is to teach him how to leave the nest! My kids are grown up but I remember what my dad said when I was about 45 years old. He said you'll never ever stop the worrying. And he is right. I still worry about my kids. They've flown the coop but I want to tuck them under my wings still and keep them safe. Just enjoy your beading and he'll be home soon.